Gum disease is one of the most encountered problem in dentistry. Curettage of periodontal pockets – a procedure which is carried out in the treatment of gum.
Treatment of periodontal disease – It is a set of procedures aimed at eliminating the causes of disease and recurrence of the disease in the future, and one of the essential and effective procedures for the treatment of gum disease is – curettage periodontal pockets.
Periodontal pocket – is a recess in the gap, which is between the gum and tooth. The periodontal pocket gradually accumulated food debris, plaque, which contains pathogenic microorganisms.
Curettage – cleaning the contents of periodontal pockets in order to eliminate the hearth of gum disease and the main indication for curettage providenieya is moderate periodontitis (the presence of periodontal pockets of 4-5 mm depth). In contrast to the professional dental cleaning during the curettage procedure not only removes dental plaque, but also pathologically altered tissue of the periodontal pocket, microorganisms and their metabolic products. Also, holding curettage is necessary before surgery, because the infection in gingival pockets during surgery can prolong the healing or even lead to unsuccessful results.
In the normal state of the periodontal pocket depth of no more than 3 mm, which allows you to easily clean it in the process of daily oral hygiene. If the pocket is deeper than 3 mm – this is a symptom of the disease. This pocket depth leads to the accumulation of tartar in it, which is no longer possible to clean up on their own and in this case requires a mandatory curettage of periodontal pockets
Indications for curettage of periodontal pockets:
- The pathological periodontal pocket depth (more than 3 mm);
- Abundant deposits of plaque and tartar;
- inflammation and bleeding gums;
- pus of periodontal pockets;
Curettage of periodontal pockets removes the teeth from deposits, removes the abnormal tissue periodontal pocket (granulation tissue softened particles of cement, etc.) and their decay products.
Depending on the depth of periodontal pockets and pathological nature of the intervention of a dentist isolated 2 type of procedure.
Closed curettage of periodontal pockets
Closed curettage of periodontal pockets – is carried out, if depth of pockets no more than 5 mm. The procedure is performed without a surgical incision in the gums and includes the following steps:
- Diagnosis of the state of the gums, filling periodontal patient card;
- Professional oral hygiene;
- Conducting a local anesthetic. The most common procedure is as painless that anesthesia is not required;
- Cleaning pathological periodontal pockets through special curettes Gracey without violating the integrity of the gingival tissue;
- Polishing of the roots of teeth.
As a rule, after the first curettage of periodontal pockets out inflammation and bleeding gums, reduces the depth of the pockets. This procedure should be performed 1 time in half a year.
Open curettage of periodontal pockets
Open curettage of periodontal pockets led by an experienced surgeon when the depth of periodontal pockets greater than 5 mm. Necessarily imply a surgical incision in the gums and includes the following steps:
- Diagnosis of the state of the gums, periodontal filling the card;
- Pre-professional oral hygiene;
- Conducting local anesthesia;
- Dissection of the gums for good visualization and to facilitate access to periodontal pockets;
- Cleaning pathological pockets with the help of special tools;
- Adding to the cleaned by granulation and stones defect osteoplastic material to stimulate bone growth in the bone defect, which was formed as a result of the disease;
- Closure of the gums.
With procedures such as indoor and outdoor curettage pathological periodontal pockets can be achieved complete remission. If the patient complies with all appointments and doctor’s advice.